Friday, April 17, 2015

swatches & a quick review

It's been quite some time since I've splurged on makeup just for fun.  But after watching Tati, GlamLifeGuru, on YouTube yesterday and seeing the new Wet-n-Wild palettes she swatched, I couldn't wait to get my hands on them.  AND... while I was there, I decided to pick up a few other things that looked interesting and fun.  So here we go.


We're going to start with the top row of products... I didn't take individual pics of these, but I'm just going to tell you about them.

First, I'll start with a product I'm familiar with.  This Dove lotion is tha bomb.  I have such dry skin and also some problems like sensitivity and eczema.  I had been wanting to try an in-shower oil or some kind of moisturizer that would really do a great job, but not leave a greasy residue.  I actually went to Walgreens a month or so ago searching for a Burt's Bees product, but they didn't carry it at my local store.  So instead, I bought this Dove Cream Oil moisturizer because it looked promising.  This is probably my favorite moisturizer I've ever used.  It's very lightweight, not greasy at all, smells very clean and fresh, and leaves my skin feeling super hydrated... and the hydration lasts for a really long time!  It's just a great moisturizer all around.  Today I picked up another bottle because I'm running low.

I strolled through the hair care aisle and saw a new product from Garnier.  I have been taking much better care of my hair lately, not washing or styling every day.  It's in pretty good shape, but I love using hair "masks" and treatment products and I prefer ones that are super conditioning.  I picked up the Damage Eraser Heal & Seal Treatment.  It says it's a 60-second Rinse Out for Sensitized, Overly Damaged Hair.  It "finds and repairs damage, seals to help block future damage."

The last product shown in my picture above (on the top row) is the L'Oreal True Match Lumi Foundation.  It claims to be a healthy luminous makeup.  This is not a new product.  I actually bought it when it first came out, but I picked the wrong color and just couldn't make it work with my skin.  I recently tried the original True Match and I really like it, but it's a little heavy and more matte in finish.  Now that we are getting into springtime, I want something a little lighter with a more dewy, natural finish.  So I'm going to give this foundation a whirl (in the right color) and see how it goes!  I'll keep you posted and might even do a full review after trying it out.

Now on to the fun stuff!

I have been wanting to find a new bronzer from the drugstore that is warm in tone and has some shimmer or radiance.  I love dusting bronzer all over my face after foundation to just warm things up.  I have several that are matte, but I wanted something different.  I ran across this one from the Wet-n-Wild Fergie collection.  There were a couple to choose from, however, the other 2 looked more like highlighters... they were very pretty, but I didn't need that, so I settled on this one.



It's in the shade Rose Golden Goddess and is a warm, coppery brown with gold throughout.  It is definitely filled with shimmer, so if you prefer more matte or even satin finishes, this won't be for you.  I think it's gorgeous.  Even if it doesn't work as a "bronzer" all over the face, it will be great as a highlighter or to top off your blush for a golden glow.


It is a tad on the orange-y, warm side, but I think I can make it work.


If you stay up to date in the YouTube beauty world, you know that contouring is all the craze right now.  EVERY company is coming out with a contour/highlight palette of some kind.  I don't personally own any of them, and I don't really think I need one.  I'm not big on contouring, where as I don't see the need for it on a daily basis, but I do sometimes like to lightly contour my cheekbones and my nose.  I usually use a cool-toned bronzer that I have in my collection and it works just fine.  But this looked interesting and I thought I'd try it out.  There were 2 colors available and the sign said available "only at Walmart."  The other option was quite a bit warmer and the highlight shade would have been too dark for me.  So I chose this one called Dulce de Leche.



I had high hopes for this product, but I'm not certain it's going to live up.  Just after swatching, I think the product is a little on the powdery side.  The highlight shade is definitely not something I would choose to highlight with, and it's very chalky.  It would never work in areas like under the eyes or in places where you had fine lines that might grab the product.  The contour shade is "okay" and I hope I can make it work.  I really do like the tone of it and if I can build it up enough, it may work out just fine.  It's possible that it may be a good thing that it's not super pigmented.  Contouring can be scary and difficult, so building up the product is probably the best way to go when you're not an expert.  But if you are a medium to dark skin tone, this probably won't even show up enough to bother with it.


I have been looking for a product from the drugstore FOREVER to use as a shadow base, particularly in a white shade so it will make the shadow colors more vibrant.  I saw this pencil, also from the Fergie collection, and thought I'd see how it works out.  It's in the shade Chine White and it claims to be a smudge-resistant, longwearing eye pencil that gives up to 12-hour wear.


While it is super creamy and glides on, I'm not quite sure it will be opaque enough to do exactly what I want it to do.  It's metallic in finish and it's actually quite sheer.  But I'll try it out with some of the palettes I'm about to show you and see how it performs.  If it doesn't work, I'll head to Target for the NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk.  It seems to be the best option out there at a great price.


THESE are actually what I went searching for to begin with... and I was successful!  Sometimes, I find that Walmart doesn't always launch the new products as soon as the drugstores, but I was pleasantly surprised to find these!  There were 5 new palettes and I decided on 3.  If you have never tried Wet-n-Wild eyeshadows, you are really missing out!  They are so reasonably priced, but I hate to use the word cheap... because the quality is top notch!  It's been a while, though, since they've come out with any new palettes, so I was happy to see these!


I chose The Naked Truth, Floral Values, and I'm His Breezy.
There was also one that had greys and blacks, and the other had all bright colors (blue, purple, even yellow).


As you can see below, the quality of these shadows is right up to par with Wet-n-Wild's other shadows!  They are amazingly pigmented and buttery smooth.  There is a mix of matte and shimmery shades, and a few that have actual glitter.


I have been kind of in a "makeup rut" when it comes to eye shadow looks lately.  So when I saw Tati swatch these, I knew I had to get my hands on them.  I'm going to step outside of my box and try some fun, colorful, springy looks.  Super excited!!!

I'll try to share some of my looks I come up with in the near future, so get ready!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment